Fallow fields, revisited

I’m currently in the process of gutting my website, and rebuilding it piece by piece. I suspect I’m doing this to distract myself from the fact that I don’t seem to have anything interesting floating around in my head to write about. “Surely it’s the site’s fault; raze it to the ground!”, the large, simple, and shouty part of my brain tells me. So I build anew (this is possibly ironic, but I’m ignoring that).

Happily, the small, quiet, and generally reasonable portion of my brain agrees with the plan, at least insofar as it’s clear that the current system (fallow) was a solid idea but poorly implemented. The system works, and I’m happy I wrote it. It was a good introduction to Ruby and Git, and a good reason to migrate off the almost-as-inefficient-as-wordpress Textpattern. But it’s failing me in a number of ways, the most important being that I literally forgot how to get content onto the site, and it took me 45 minutes of reading through painfully structured Ruby code to figure it out again. That’s the sort of thing that happens when you don’t touch a website for 6 months.

Rather that catalog the failings of the system I’m replacing (for they are legion), I’d like to touch on the carefully considered bits I’m keeping:

So, those are the good bits I’d like to keep going as I rebuild. With the understanding that I’m about to make one of those dangerous “forward looking statements” that I never seem to follow through on as cleanly as I’d like, I expect mikewest.org to be running a new Jekyll-based backend sometime in October. With luck, no one will notice a thing but me. With even more luck, I’ll squeeze out a post or two about the bits of Jekyll I’m adjusting, and the places where it’s falling down completely.